    Subject"build-id" changes break sparc64

    (This is in reference to commit 18991197b4b588255ccabf472ebc84db7b66a19c)

    When actually used, the build-id linker option causes problems for the
    sparc64 kernel in two ways:

    1) When building modules we get tons of warnings from the linker
    such as:

    LD [M] drivers/scsi/sr_mod.o
    ld: warning: Cannot create section, --build-id ignored.

    2) The resulting kernel image will not boot. The SILO boot loader on
    sparc aborts if there are multiple PT_LOAD segments in the ELF
    program header of the kernel image. The boot loader can only
    handle allocating memory for and setting up mappings via the
    firmware for one one linear PT_LOAD segment.

    build-id puts a second PT_LOAD into the kernel image (albeit a tiny
    one) and as a result it cannot be booted

    This is all with the current binutils in Ubuntu gutsy which
    is version

    Whilst #1 could be some kind of binutils bug and the warning
    is harmless, #2 is an outright show-stopper for sparc32 and
    sparc64 and to be honest I would not be surprised if the
    boot loader on some other platforms have this limitation too.

    My suggestion would be to add this linker option in the various
    arch/${FOO}/Makefile files for platforms and situations where it
    is known to work properly.

    Roland, if you agree could you submit a fix like that?

    Alternatively, if you think build-id is so valuable, impress me with
    your binutils ninja skills and show me how to perhaps do some objcopy
    tricks wherein I could dike out the PT_LOAD segment build-id generates
    for the "image" target et al. in the arch/sparc{,64}/boot/Makefile's

    Thanks a lot.

      Last update: 2007-07-22 10:25    [W:0.035 / U:165.244 seconds]