SubjectRe: Pata support for IDE Controller 82801G ICH7 in Linux 2.6.22
Date
On Sunday 22 July 2007 18:03:06 Bartek wrote:

> > > Ok, this controller is supported.
> > > Did you forgot about CONFIG_PATA_MPIIX=y?
> >
> > MPIIX is for early Intel laptop (pentium era).
> >
> > If the chip is in AHCI mode then CONFIG_AHCI may be what is missing
>
> I made a few tests. First I booted my comp with Ubuntu Live Feisty
> Fawn, checked modules which are loaded, and interesting ones are:
> ata_piix, ata_generic, libata, scsi_mod, sg, sr_mod, sd_mod
> ls /dev/sda* showed:
> /dev/sda{1,2,3,4}.
> So I recompiled the kernel with these options (marking all these
> drivers as a modules, in the previous situation they were modules, as
> well as compiled directly), and tried to boot. Nothing worked. The
> same situation appeared: Waiting for root file system...
> Second, I installed a Debian distribution kernel
> (linux-image-2.6.22-1-686) and booted from it. It used an old IDE
> driver, not PATA. So again no success.
> According to AHCI, my chip is rather not that kind. Ubuntu does not
> load any AHCI modul. In my previous kernel compilations I tried that
> option as well. It did not work.

This sounds like a problem I ran into when I tried to boot a 2.6.21 kernel
using libata with Ubuntu Edgy installed. The init script on the initramfs
failed at the same point - not a problem with the drivers, but a problem with
what the scripts are looking for. I'd suggest looking at the scripts on the
initramfs - its been my experience that they are the culprit and not the
kernel itself.

DRH

--
Dialup is like pissing through a pipette. Slow and excruciatingly painful.