SubjectRE: DMA Engine vs. DMA Transfer API
Clifford Wolf [mailto:clifford@clifford.at]

>Hi Shannon, hi lkml,

Hi Clifford,

>I'm writing a driver for the built-in DMA controller of the Freescale
>MPC8349E PowerPC based microcontroller. Unfortunately the DMA-Engine
>API seams to be the totally wrong thing for that since this
>DMA controller
>has many features which are not available thru dmaengine
>[...]

This has been one of the biggest issues with the original dmaengine
interface - it didn't play well with others. Since then a few folks
have taken a couple shots at it, but Dan Williams recently has done it
best in his changes aimed at rolling in his RAID accelleration engine.
Most of what you are looking for is already available - see the recent
changes in the dmaengine that allow for multiple DMA clients, multiple
DMA engines, and a method for selecting DMA services based upon the
capabilities needed.

If these changes still don't quite fit your need, let us know and we can
probably help you work it out.

Now, you go back to your vacation and I'll go back to my quiet Sunday
afternoon.

sln