    SubjectRe: [patch 1/3] m68k/mac: Make mac_hid_mouse_emulate_buttons() declaration visible
    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
    > On 7/20/07, Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de> wrote:

    > > > linux/hid.h contains definitions needed for drivers speaking HID
    > > > protocol, I don't think we want to put quirks for legacy keyboard
    > > > driver there. I'd just move the #ifdef within drivers/char/keyboard.c
    > > > for now.
    > >
    > > If you only move it you will keep the bug of the wrong second parameter.
    > >
    > > But if you move it to any header file gcc is able to figure out such
    > > errors itself instead of them being nasty runtime errors.
    > >
    > > Such prototypes in C files are really bad since (like in this case) they
    > > prevent the finding of bugs. It doesn't matter which header file you put
    > > the prototype into (it can even be a new one), but it belongs into a
    > > header file.
    > >

    > I am OK with adding a new header file. I was just saying that placing
    > that declaration in linux/hid.h makes about the same sense as putting
    > it into linux/scsi.h

    At first I just wanted to move it. Then I thought about the angry
    comments I would get about not moving it to a header file ;-)

    <linux/hid.h> looked like the best candidate. <linux/kbd_kern.h> is
    another option.

    Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

    Geert

    -- Linus Torvalds