    SubjectRe: Is PIE randomization breaking klibc binaries?
    On 7/20/07, Ulrich Kunitz <> wrote:
    > Since this week new linux-2.6/master kernels don't work with my
    > initial ram disks. The sleep binary runs repeatingly into
    > segmentation faults until the Busybox shell starts. My system is a
    > x86-64 with Kubuntu Feisty Fawn.
    > By bisecting I found out that the PIE randomization patch (commit 60bfba7e)
    > appears to cause the segmentation faults.
    > Digging further into the issue I found out, that the sleep binary
    > on the initial ramdisk is a klibc binary. /usr/bin/file says it is
    > statically linked and uses shared libraries. I have no clue about
    > klibc, but the binaries seem to be statically linked, but load a
    > shared library; probably at a fixed address. Other klibc binaries are also
    > running into segmentation faults. Busybox is working, but it is
    > statically linked and doesn't use a shared library.
    > It looks like that the PIE randomization patch breaks klibc
    > binaries on x86-64.
    > --
    > Uli Kunitz
    > -

    oh bugger I just spent a few hours bisecting to find this headache
    only to find someone else had 8 hours ago... *sigh*

    anyhow also seeing seg faults here on a amd64 ubuntu system
    reverting the PIE randomization patch made it go away

      Last update: 2007-07-21 08:05    [W:0.022 / U:10.468 seconds]