SubjectRe: Patches for REALLY TINY 386 kernels
> Some people are putting Linux kernels in the "BIOS" (i.e. ROM chip) when
> using LinuxBIOS (www.linuxbios.org). It _does_ make a lot of difference
> there how big the kernel is. At the moment you can't do that with
> anything smaller than a 1 MB chip. But if people could use 512 KB chips
> because the kernel is small enough that would sure be a great thing.

I'm sure it would be possibel to save a lot of text size. But I don't
think removing the relatively small CPUID code is the right way.
That is just a big maintenance issue for little gain.

If you're seriously interested you should start measuring and then
attack the real bloat pigs. e.g. a good way is to look for unneeded
inlining.

And also do regression testing, like running bloat-o-meter between
releases and complaining about subsystems which have grown unduly.

-Andi

  Last update: 2007-07-20 09:37    [W:0.212 / U:0.144 seconds]