    SubjectRe: [RFC] what should 'uptime' be on suspend?
    On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 10:42:22PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
    > I just found a machine which will resume after suspend to memory, using
    > the mainline kernel (no suspend2 patch).
    >
    > On resume I was looking at the uptime output, and it was about six
    > minutes, FAR longer than the time since resume. So the topic for
    > discussion is, should the uptime be
    > - time sine the original boot
    > - total uptime since first boot, not counting the time suspended
    > - time since resume
    > - some other time around six minutes
    >
    > Any of the first three could be useful and "right" for some casesm thus
    > discussion invited.

    My ibook has always been able to suspend to RAM. For a long while,
    uptime was shown as the time since the last boot. At some point,
    maybe about a year ago, this was "corrected" to show time since boot
    _less_ time suspended.

    To be clear, the ibook suspends when I close the lid and resumes
    when I open it. Uptime used to be convenient, because I could work
    out when I'd last booted.

    Ken