    SubjectRe: [patches] new text patching for review
    Andi Kleen wrote:
    > Normally there are not that many NMIs or MCEs at boot, but it would
    > be still good to avoid the very rare crash by auditing the code first
    > [better than try to debug it on some production system later]

    Auditing it for what? If we want to make patching safe against NMI/MCE,
    I guess we need to make sure those handlers don't use any pvops, but
    that seems unreasonable if they want to poke at MSRs and so on.

    > In theory yes, in practice there can be errata of course. There tend
    > to be a couple with self modifying code, especially cross modifying
    > (from another CPU) -- but you don't do that.

    No, but the pv-ops patching code should have no requirement for
    atomicity at all; we shouldn't be trying to patch a live instruction stream.

      Last update: 2007-07-19 22:55    [W:0.020 / U:61.116 seconds]