SubjectRe: regression: disk error loop (panic?) ide_do_rw_disk-bad:
Date
On Wednesday 18 July 2007, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> >
> > The new generic SG layer is CONFIG_SCSI=y "generic" in the current tree.
>
> Yeah. I know, I already talked to Jens about it - in order to be generic,
> the BSG stuff really does end up having to be able to stand on its own,
> since not everybody wants/needs the whole SCSI layer.

bsg looks really promising and it would be great if we can use it also
for IDE driver.

> > > obviously the older SCSI-ioctl layer) it should "just work".
> >
> > Agreed but IDE driver has never claimed to have full SAT layer and
> > full SCSI-ioctl layer support has been provided only for ide-cd.
>
> I agree, and understand why it happened, but hope that maybe it can be
> improved in the future, or at least the error returned earlier so that the
> request will never even hit the ATA device at all if the IDE layer cannot
> then handle it.

This is _exactly_ how these requests were handled before commit
3d6392cfbd7dc11f23058e3493683afab4ac13a3.

Reverting ide.c chunks is a safe solution for now (no SG_IO and friends
for ide-floppy but this is how it was before this commit).

Thanks,
Bart

  Last update: 2007-07-18 01:05    [W:0.061 / U:0.960 seconds]