    SubjectRe: [patch] fix the softlockup watchdog to actually work
    On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 11:14:51 -0700 (PDT) Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Randy Dunlap wrote:
    > >
    > > > + if ((print_timestamp >= touch_timestamp &&
    > > > + print_timestamp < (touch_timestamp + 1)) ||
    > > > + did_panic || !per_cpu(watchdog_task, this_cpu)) {
    > > > return;
    > > > + }
    > > >
    > > > /* do not print during early bootup: */
    > > > if (unlikely(system_state != SYSTEM_RUNNING)) {
    > >
    > > patch contains unneeded braces { }.
    >
    > When there are issues with indentation, those braces are actually not
    > unneeded any more, except for the compiler.
    >
    > Just _look_ at the code. The indentation is not obvious, because the
    > if-conditional itself is multiple lines, and indented (arguably wrongly so
    > too, but that's another issue).

    I strongly agree with your parenthetical remark and think that is
    the real problem.

    > So it's no longer a trivial one-liner statement, it's a "multi-statement"
    > spread out over multiple lines, and I think the braces are actually a good
    > idea for things like that.
    >
    > I also encourage people do do braces when you have nested indentation, ie
    >
    > if (something)
    > if (somethingelse)
    > return;

    I think that this is wrong only when there is an "else" branch
    following this.

    > is actively *wrong*, while
    >
    > if (something) {
    > if (somethingelse)
    > return;
    > }
    >
    > is right, even though the braces are "unnecessary". Again, it's about the
    > visual representation, not about whether the compiler needs them or not.

    I agree with your last statement.
    And thankfully none of this is in CodingStyle. (oops)

    ---
    ~Randy

      Last update: 2007-07-17 23:39    [W:0.039 / U:64.884 seconds]