    SubjectRe: [patch] revert: [NET]: Fix races in net_rx_action vs netpoll

    * Linus Torvalds <> wrote:

    > With MSI, edge-triggered interrupts are making a comeback in a big
    > way, and yeah, e1000 is one of the drivers that do MSI. Ingo might
    > want to confirm whether it's actually enabled for him, and whether
    > turning it off might hide the problem, but if that's it, then the
    > whole patch is fundamentally broken, and not worth saving.

    MSI was off for the test:

    # CONFIG_PCI_MSI is not set

    full config is at:

    the hang-log is at:

    netconsole output went silent during the last tx-timeout message. (the
    above hang.log is from dmesg)

    > but in either case (or, indeed, even if I didn't see any problem at
    > all), I think reverting a patch that isn't needed is _always_ the
    > right choice.
    > If we don't know what caused a problem in the first place, or if the
    > fix is known to be required for something else and reverting it would
    > cause *another* regression, it would be another issue. But as it is,
    > reverting it would seem to unquestionably get rid of a regression, and
    > is thus a no-brainer.
    > No?

    i also offered to quickly try any test-version of the fixed patch, so
    there's a real and deterministic path towards fixing the patch. The
    regression is obvious and triggers all the time.

      Last update: 2007-07-16 23:55    [W:0.037 / U:8.088 seconds]