SubjectRe: signalfd() semantics after execve()
Davide,

> > I'm working on the signalfd(2) man page, and I've come
> > acorss some puzzling behaviour...
> >
> > What are the intended semantics of a signalfd file descriptor
> > after an execve()?
> >
> > As far as I can work out, after an execve() the file descriptor
> > is still available, but reads from it always return 0, even if:
> >
> > a) there were signals pending before the execve().
> > However, sigpending() shows the signal as pending,
> > and the signal can be accepted using sigwaitinfo().
> >
> > b) we generate a signal after the execve().
> >
> > Is this intended behavior (the "orphaned sighand" condition
> > mentioned in the draft man page you sent me?)? Is it a bug?
>
> It is the intended behaviour. Just like reading from a socket where the
> remote peer disconnected.

I don't think this analogy is good; what is the "peer" in this
situation?

IMO, A better analogy is: signalfd() should provide
similar semantics to sigwaitinfo()/sigtimedwait() (and/or
handling signals with a signal handler).

> A return 0 from a read from a signalfd should be
> interpreted as the "virtual connection" with the signal source has been
> dropped.

Yes, but in this case why has the '"virtual connection" with the
signal source' been dropped?

Why shouldn't one be allowed to continue reading signals from
the signalfd file descriptor after the execve()?

After all, I can still fetch those signals with sigwaitinfo()
after the execve(). Not being able to also dothat with signalfd
just isn't consistent.

Cheers,

Michael
--
Michael Kerrisk
maintainer of Linux man pages Sections 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7

Want to help with man page maintenance?
Grab the latest tarball at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/manpages ,
read the HOWTOHELP file and grep the source
files for 'FIXME'.

  Last update: 2007-07-15 11:21    [W:0.036 / U:0.196 seconds]