    SubjectRe: -mm merge plans -- anti-fragmentation
    Andrew Morton wrote:
    > On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 11:20:43 +0100
    > mel@skynet.ie (Mel Gorman) wrote:
    >
    >>> create-the-zone_movable-zone.patch
    >>> allow-huge-page-allocations-to-use-gfp_high_movable.patch
    >>> handle-kernelcore=-generic.patch
    >>>
    >>> Mel's moveable-zone work. In a similar situation. We need to stop whatever
    >>> we're doing and get down and work out what we're going to do with all this
    >>> stuff.
    >>>
    >> Whatever about grouping pages by mobility, I would like to see these go
    >> through. They have a real application for hugetlb pool resizing where the
    >> administrator knows the range of hugepages that will be required but doesn't
    >> want to waste memory when the required number of hugepages is small. I've
    >> cc'd Kenneth Chen as I believe he has run into this problem recently where
    >> I believe partitioning memory would have helped. He'll either confirm or deny.
    >
    > Still no decision here, really.
    >
    > Should we at least go for
    >
    > add-__gfp_movable-for-callers-to-flag-allocations-from-high-memory-that-may-be-migrated.patch
    > create-the-zone_movable-zone.patch
    > allow-huge-page-allocations-to-use-gfp_high_movable.patch
    > handle-kernelcore=-generic.patch
    >
    > in 2.6.23?

    These patches are pretty simple and self-contained utilising the
    existing zone infrastructure. They provide a significant degree of
    placement control when configured, which gives a lot of the benefits of
    grouping-pages-by-mobility. Merging these would seem like a low-risk
    option.

    Having a degree of placement control as delivered by ZONE_MOVABLE
    greatly increases the effectiveness of lumpy reclaim at higher orders.
    These patches plus lumpy would (IMO) provide a good base for further
    development. In particular I would envisage better usability for
    hugepage users in terms of simpler configuration.

    I would like to see ZONE_MOVABLE and lumpy considered for 2.6.23.

    -apw

      Last update: 2007-07-13 12:23    [W:0.022 / U:149.740 seconds]