SubjectRe: Documentation of kernel messages (Summary)
Date
On Thursday 12 July 2007 9:53:54 am Li Yang-r58472 wrote:
> > Fielding patches and questions sounds like plenty to me...)
>
> I do think the documentation translation is very necessary even when
> there is a language maintainer, especially for the policy documents as
> HOWTO, codestyle , and etc. The contributors should go through these
> policies and check their code for compliance before going to the
> language maintainer for help, or there will be too much for the language
> maintainer to translate. The language maintainer doesn't need to
> translate all the documents himself, but he can help to coordinate the
> translation effort and help to make it update to date.

It would help if all the policy documents got grouped into a single
Documentation/development directory so we could separate "policy documents in
each language would be nice" from "that document about the amiga zorro bus
really needs to be kept up-to-date in Navajo and that should be in the kernel
tarball please".

Lemme see, which ones are we talking about? The candidates are:
applying-patches.txt
BUG-HUNTING
Changes
CodingStyle
debugging-modules.txt
feature-removal-schedule.txt
HOWTO
kernel-docs.txt
language-maintainers.txt
ManagementStyle
oops-tracing.txt
SecurityBugs
sparse.txt
stable_api_nonsense.txt
stable_kernel_rules.txt
SubmitChecklist
SubmittingDrivers
SubmittingPatches
volatile-considered-harmful.txt

That's everything I noticed in the top level directory that's a good candidate
to be grouped into a "development" subdirectory. Did I miss anything?

I note that Changes is a bit stale in places (16 bit assembly?),
feature-removal-schedule.txt changes often but is good to know,
kernel-docs.txt might be useless to translate considering it's mostly links
to english documentation, language-maintainers.txt is assuming my patch from
earlier today gets accepted...

I can submit a patch grouping all that stuff together into a subdirectory if
it would help...

> If we do need a contact person, I can do it. However I don't think
> there will be much translation work to do here. As I stated before,
> most Chinese programmers are more or less capable of read/write
> technical English. The difficult part is to let them know the benefit
> of merging code in kernel and teach them how to do it. That's why the
> policy documents in native language will be very useful.

Does the above look like a good list? There are more that need to be written,
but that's what I saw in Documentation...

Rob

P.S. Dear kmail/postfix developers: having a transient DNS lookup failure on
one address in a long cc: list is _NOT_ a reason to have the message stay in
the kmail outbox. It should go into the postfix send queue and be retried
from there. Right now, if I tell it to resend, how do I know who it has and
hasn't been successfully distributed to on the first attempt? I've gotten
dinged for trimming the cc: list before, but now I'm about to send out
duplicates. Wheee...
- Ken Thompson.