    SubjectRe: x86 setup code rewrite in C - revised
    On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:24:48 -0700 (PDT)
    Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

    > On Wed, 11 Jul 2007, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > >
    > > This patch set replaces the x86 setup code, which is currently all in
    > > assembly, with a version written in C, using the ".code16gcc" feature
    > > of binutils (which has been present since at least 2001.)
    > >
    > > 76 files changed, 4606 insertions(+), 5209 deletions(-)
    >
    > I can't really argue against this on any sane grounds - not only is it
    > removing more lines than it adds, but moving from mostly unreadable
    > assembly to C seems a good idea.
    >
    > How does this impact the size of that code? Do we even care?
    >
    > But as to how to integrate it, I'm not sure I really want to just merge
    > it. I suspect we would want to have it in some public tree that people
    > actually test at least to some degree first, and the -mm tree seems to
    > make most sense.
    >
    > I didn't see anything objectionable in the series, although I do think the
    > explanations need to be re-done for a number of them. You seem to have
    > violated the "a single line to explain the patch at the top" rule, and as
    > a result they make no sense for some of them (the explanation for patch
    > 05/33 doesn't parse for me and 07/33 seems to have the single-line
    > problem)
    >
    > So let's just get this merged. But the question is, do we put it in
    > 2.6.23-rc1, or do we put it in -mm for a few weeks, which would imply
    > waiting for the next merge window? Andrew?

    This code has been in -mm since 11 May, as git-newsetup.patch. It has
    caused (for what it is) astonishingly few problems. Maybe a couple of
    build glitches and one runtime failure, all quickly fixed.

    I'd say it's ready.

    ©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans