SubjectRe: [ck] Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23
On 7/11/07, Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:02:56 +1000 "Matthew Hawkins" <darthmdh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > We all know swap prefetch has been tested out the wazoo since Moses was a
> > little boy, is compile-time and runtime selectable, and gives an important
> > and quantifiable performance increase to desktop systems.
>
> Always interested. Please provide us more details on your usage and
> testing of that code. Amount of memory, workload, observed results,
> etc?

Swap prefetch has been around for years, and it's a complete boon for
the desktop user and a noop in any other situation. In addition to the
sp_tester tool which consistently shows a definite advantage, there
are many user reports that show the noticeable improvements it has.
The many people who have tried it out have generally chosen to switch
to patched kernels because of the performance increase.

It's been discussed on the lkml many times before, we've been over
performance, testing and impact. The big question is: why *don't* we
merge it?

-Kacper

  Last update: 2007-07-12 14:09    [W:0.405 / U:0.208 seconds]