SubjectRe: x86 status was Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23
Linus,

On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 15:20 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> For example, we can make sure that the code in question that actually
> touches the hardware stays exactly the same, and then just move the
> interfaces around - and basically guarantee that _zero_ hardware-specific
> issues pop up when you switch over, for example.
>
> That way there is a gradual change-over.

Ok, I can try to split this down further.

> The other approach (which would be nice _too_) is to actually try to
> convert one clock source at a time. Why is that not an option?

We need to give control to the clock events core code once we convert
one clock event device. Having two competing subsystems controlling
different devices (e.g. PIT and APIC) is not really desirable.

The HPET change, which is the larger part of the conversion set simply
because we now share the code with i386, might be split out by disabling
HPET in the first step, doing the PIT / APIC conversion and then the
HPET one in a separate step.

Thanks,

tglx

  Last update: 2007-07-12 00:53    [W:0.999 / U:0.056 seconds]