    SubjectRe: ata and netdev (was Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23)
    Andrew Morton wrote:
    > drivers-net-ns83820c-add-paramter-to-disable-auto.patch:
    >
    > See comments in changelog: ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.22-rc6/2.6.22-rc6-mm1/broken-out/drivers-net-ns83820c-add-paramter-to-disable-auto.patch
    >
    > Dan, Ben: is there any prospect of progress here?
    Mmm.. Ben had 2 comments last year:

    In regards to the ethtool stuff i coded:

    > This part is good, although doing something for copper cards needs doing,

    I know very little about hardware and only own the fiber version of this
    card. Even if i tried to make code for the copper version, it would
    probably blow it up the phy and set the switches on fire ;).

    And in regards to the '"disable_autoneg" module argument':

    > This is the part I disagree with. Are you sure it isn't a bug in the
    > link autonegotiation state machine for fibre cards? It should be defaulting
    > to 1Gbit/full duplex if no autonegotiation is happening, and if it isn't
    > then that should be fixed instead of papering over things with a config
    > option.

    This is pretty much Russian to me.
    I wouldnt know where to find the "link-autonegotiation-state-machine-for-fibre-cards" or know what to do with it anyway :).

    The "disable_autoneg" is a convenient feature (for me and the other guy who made the same patch last year) and i consider it a harmless feature in every way.
    It is simply an 'if'-statement, that skips the "start autoneg" function upon load.
    We can simply remove the feature entirely if it is deemed undesirable.

    So in conclusion:
    - I vote "use the patch as-is", but im fine with it being changed.
    - If it needs support for copper, someone else has to code it.

    Regards
    - Dan

      Last update: 2007-07-11 19:09    [W:0.021 / U:32.424 seconds]