    SubjectRe: [ck] Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23
    On 7/11/07, Andrew Morton <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:02:56 +1000 "Matthew Hawkins" <> wrote:

    > Always interested. Please provide us more details on your usage and
    > testing of that code. Amount of memory, workload, observed results,
    > etc?

    My usual workstation has 1Gb of ram & 2Gb of swap (single partition -
    though in the past with multiple drives I would spread swap around the
    less-used disks & fiddle with the priority). Its acting as server for
    my home network too (so it has squid, cups, bind, dhcpd, apache, mysql
    & postgresql) but for the most part I'll have Listen playing music
    while I switch between Flock &/or Firefox, Thunderbird, and
    xvncviewer. On the odd occasion I'll fire up some game (gewled,
    actioncube, critical mass). Compiling these days has been mostly
    limited to kernels, I've been building mostly -ck and -cfs - keeping
    up-to-date and also doing some odd things (like patching the non-SD
    -ck stuff on top of CFS). Mainly just to get swap prefetch, but also
    not to lose skills since I'm out of the daily coding routine now.

    Anyhow with swap prefetch, applications that may have been sitting
    there idle for a while become responsive in the single-digit seconds
    rather than double-digit or worse. The same goes for a morning wakeup
    (ie after nightly cron jobs throw things out) and also after doing
    basically anything that wants memory, like benchmarking the various
    kernels I'm messing with or doing some local DB work or coding a
    memory leak into a web application running under apache ;)

      Last update: 2007-07-11 04:57    [W:0.023 / U:1.968 seconds]