    SubjectRe: [x86 setup 13/33] Header file to produce 16-bit code with gcc
    >>> This only works correctly with newer GCCs if you pass the
    >>> -fno-toplevel-reorder option (and it only works on older
    >>> GCC versions by accident).
    >> And on older ones (gcc-3.3-hammer / 3.4 / 4.0 ) -fno-unit-at-a-time
    >> Still it seems quite fragile to me agreed.
    > The alternative, of course, is to compile to an .s file and insert
    > .code16gcc into the .s file. This makes the Makefile uglier, but
    > would
    > be more resilient against oddball gcc changes.

    This would be even more fragile. The exact format of GCC's
    assembler code output isn't defined at all, so in principle
    this is a hopeless task. In practice just putting the
    .code16gcc directive on the first line would likely work
    though, GCC never generates a .code32 AFAIK, but it isn't
    guaranteed that this will work (or will keep working).

    > I'm a bit surprised about the claim w.r.t. -fno-unit-at-a-time
    > (although
    > I guess that is the default and one would thus typically not see
    > this.)

    -fno-unit-at-a-time is the default on three year old compilers,
    yes. Newer compilers have unit-at-a-time enabled by default.

    > Got any pointers why that would cause a global asm() to be scrambled
    > around?

    An asm() outside of a function is a top-level thing, just
    like functions and file-scope variable definitions, and with
    unit-at-a-time compilation all such blocks can be reordered
    (or even omitted, or inlined, or whatever). Note that even
    before unit-at-a-time was introduced there was no guarantee
    of emitting everything in the order it appears in the source

      Last update: 2007-07-10 22:11    [W:0.021 / U:38.772 seconds]