    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.22 released
    On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 16:52:52 PDT, Linus Torvalds said:

    > The full changelog since 2.6.21 also got uploaded, but quite frankly, I
    > wonder if anybody uses those things? I've been uploading them for non-git
    > users, but I have a suspicion that any people who want that kind of
    > detail have long since learnt to use git, or are following the commit
    > mailing lists or equivalent.

    What the Rest Of The World could probably use is if some kind soul were to go
    through and build a .21->.22 document that lists all the *userspace visible*
    changes (new drivers, new filesystems/features, new/changed stuff in /sys and
    /proc, new ioctls, new and changed Kconfig, etc). Unfortunately, it's quite
    probably not automagically creatable, so we'd need to find another Adrian Bunk
    to do it (BTW, between cleanups and keeping track of regressions and so on,
    Adrian is definitely a resource we're lucky to have - let's have a round of
    applause and appreciation for all of Adrian's work.. :)

    > Or do people really want the full logs, and don't use git?

    I'm not really a git user (I have enough trouble keeping a -mm tree around in
    an unbusticated state) - but the few times I've needed info from git, I've
    gotten it from the git-web interface. I think I've only looked at the
    Changelogs once in the last 5 years, and it was because I was researching a
    "When did feature XYZ go into the kernel?" for something that happened before
    the bitkeeper and git days.

      Last update: 2007-07-10 21:43    [W:4.222 / U:0.688 seconds]