    SubjectRe: Determine version of kernel that produced vmcore
    On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 01:17:40PM -0400, Neil Horman wrote:
    > On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 08:30:37PM +0530, Vivek Goyal wrote:
    > > I am still thinking that why can't we change initrd building process
    > > (Be it mkinitrd or mkdumprd depending on distriution). Whole idea is
    > > that while building an initrd/initramfs for the first kernel, one will
    > > ask user for kdump kernel (if user wishes to load kdump kenrel through
    > > initrd) and then it will generate kdump kenrel's initrd and pack into
    > > first kernel's initrd.
    > >
    > > So steps would look something like this.
    > >
    > > - mkinitrd takes second kernel's vmlinux as argument
    > > - mkinitrd runs "makedumpfile -g" on debug version of first kernel's vmlinux.
    > > - mkinitrd generates the initramfs for kdump kernel and packs output
    > > of "makedumpfile -g" into that.
    > > - mkinitrd packs statically linked kexec, kdump kernel vmlinux/bzImage,
    > > and kdump kernel initramfs into first kernel's initramfs.
    > >
    > Agreed, this is exactly what happens right now.

    Isn't there some sort of a circular dependency going on here? As I
    understand it the vmlinux binary already contains the initramfs as
    built-in data (at least that's what I use here for initramfs). It
    makes more sense if you guys are creating an _initrd_ image (that's
    what mkinitrd originally did AFAIK) and supply it to the boot-loader.

    Dan Aloni
    XIV LTD,
    da-x (at), dan (at)

      Last update: 2007-07-10 19:39    [W:0.020 / U:130.640 seconds]