SubjectRe: -mm merge plans -- anti-fragmentation
On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 11:20 +0100, Mel Gorman wrote:

<snip>

> > lumpy-reclaim-v4.patch
>
> This patch is really what lumpy reclaim is. I believe Peter has looked
> at this and was happy enough at the time although he is cc'd here again
> in case this has changed. This is mainly useful with either grouping
> pages by mobility or the ZONE_MOVABLE stuff. However, at the time the
> patch was proposed, there was a feeling that it might help jumbo frame
> allocation on e1000's and maybe if fsblock optimistically uses
> contiguous pages it would have an application. I would like to see it go
> through to see does it help e1000 at least.

I'm not seeing how this will help e1000 (and other jumbo drivers). They
typically allocate using GFP_ATOMIC, so in order to satisfy those you'd
need to either have a higher order watermark or do atomic defrag of the
free space.

  Last update: 2007-07-10 13:07    [W:0.148 / U:0.920 seconds]