    SubjectRe: [patch 7/8] fdmap v2 - implement sys_socket2
    On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 09:49:07PM +0100, Al Viro wrote:
    > On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 01:21:24PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > Which is why you'd like to do the *initial* operation with a flag that
    > > says "please set the FD_CLOEXEC flag on the file descriptor", so that you
    > > *atomically* install the file file descriptor and set the FD_CLOEXEC bit.
    > >
    > > It's trivial to do for open(), but there are about a million ways to get a
    > > file descriptor, and open() is just about the *only* one of those that
    > > actually takes a "flags" field that can be used to tell the kernel.
    > Eww... Idea of pipe(2) taking flags as argument...
    > BTW, you also need that for recvmsg() (SCM_RIGHTS) and fsckloads of
    > syscalls we've got duplicating open() for no good reason (and no, "BSD
    > folks did it for sockets, so we'll do it for tons of new subsystems" doesn't
    > really qualify ;-/).
    > I don't know if your indirect is a good idea in that respect, actually.
    > AFAICS, you are suggesting per-syscall meanings of the flags, so it really
    > smells like YAMultiplexor, free for abuse.

    Well, of course it sucks. The question is does it suck less than
    adding dozens of new syscalls to patch up problems with POSIX?

    I don't think we can get this right in one iteration, so I actually
    prefer Linus's approach as less likely to leave numerous vestiges of
    incremental improvements around.

    On the other hand, we don't want to end up in a future where the bulk
    of our calls are through sys_indirect! Given the number of important
    APIs that have gotten slight semantic bumps, that's a real

      Last update: 2007-06-09 23:59    [W:0.021 / U:7.212 seconds]