    SubjectRe: [AppArmor 39/45] AppArmor: Profile loading and manipulation, pathname matching
    On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 12:03:57AM +0200, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
    > AppArmor is meant to be relatively easy to understand, manage, and customize,
    > and introducing a labels layer wouldn't help these goals.

    Woah, that describes the userspace side of AA just fine, it means
    nothing when it comes to the in-kernel implementation. There is no
    reason that you can't implement the same functionality using some
    totally different in-kernel solution if possible.

    > SELinux is applicable in areas where AppArmor is not (e.g., MLS), but
    > this comes at a cost. For me the question is not SELinux or AppArmor,
    > but if AppArmor's security model is a good solution in common
    > scenarios. In my opinion, AppArmor is a better answer than SELinux in
    > a number of scenarios. This gives it value, nonwithstanding the fact
    > that SELinux can be taken further.

    I am still not completely certian that we can not properly implement AA
    functionality using a SELinux backend solution. Yes, the current tools
    that try to implement this are still lacking, and maybe the kernel needs
    to change, but that is possible.

    I still want to see a definition of the AA "model" that we can then use
    to try to implement using whatever solution works best. As that seems
    to be missing the current argument of if AA can or can not be
    implemented using SELinux or something totally different should be
    stopped.

    So, AA developers, do you have such a document anywhere? I know there
    are some old research papers, do they properly describe the current
    model you are trying to implement here?

    thanks,

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2007-06-09 02:19    [W:0.024 / U:3.648 seconds]