    SubjectRe: [AppArmor 01/41] Pass struct vfsmount to the inode_create LSM hook

    --- Pavel Machek <> wrote:

    > AA solves less problems than SELinux does.

    And vi solves less problems than OpenOffice.
    vi is good for a different set of purposes than OpenOffice.
    AA and SELinux both aspire to being Security Solutions,
    but that does not make either a subset of the other.

    > Some people like AA more,
    > but I guess they should just learn SELinux.

    Knowing the people involved I would suggest that the AA people
    did learn SELinux, and came to their own conclusions regarding
    it's applicability to their needs, and that those conclusions
    are not the same as yours.

    > And yes, I'm afraid this discussion is relevant on l-k, because we
    > should have very good reasons before merging duplicate functionality.

    'cmon, you know better than to claim that this is duplicate
    functionality. No one is arguing that. The arguments have been
    that the conceptual basis of named based access control are flawwed.
    As that argument has failed to move the AA adherants, the old sawhorse
    that SELinux does everything, or could be made to if you sweated the
    policy hard enough, got pulled out. No evidence to that effect,
    mind you, but the old "waves paw" nonetheless.

    SELinux is the finest implementation of Type Enforcement on the planet.
    TE does not match everyone's definition of security. AA is an
    alternative that clearly has as tough a roe to hoe as SELinux did
    in 2001, when it was up against MLS system vendors who compared it
    to Froot Loops. Alternatives, even those that you don't personally
    care for, are good for you.

    Casey Schaufler

      Last update: 2007-06-08 23:57    [W:0.037 / U:52.272 seconds]