    SubjectRe: ThinkPad T41 - Strange USB 2.0 behaviour
    Joel Becker wrote:
    > On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 10:23:19PM +0200, Robert de Rooy wrote:
    >> On my ThinkPad T41 USB 2.0 behaves strange. Most USB 2.0 devices, refuse
    >> to function as such. Under Windows I get a message that I should plug
    >> the device into a USB 2.0 port (but it continues to function as USB
    >> 1.1), while under Linux I need to manually unload ehci-hcd before I can
    >> access the device.
    >> The strange thing is that these USB 2.0 devices used to work just fine,
    >> and still do on other machines. In addition I have one USB 2.0 memory
    >> key that still works fine (both under Windows and Linux).
    >> Now to be honest, I think this is a hardware problem, as I have had
    >> another T41p before that also suddenly no longer liked USB 2.0 devices,
    >> and if you search with Google you find other ThinkPad T41 users
    >> complaining about similar behaviour.
    > Hardware problem. You need a new system board. I had this
    > problem on my T41, devices would sometimes work, sometimes not
    > (depending on the reboot). If I plugged in a USB 1.1 hub, then pluged
    > the memory reader into the hub, it would always work at 1.1 speeds.
    > New system board, USB 2.0 works just fine.
    > Joel
    Yes I figured it was a hardware problem, but that was not really the
    point I was trying to raise ;). I would like, if possible for Linux to
    automatically fallback to USB 1.1 like Windows does (preferably with a
    suitable warning).

    Regarding getting the systemboard replaced, this machine is already
    scheduled for replacement, and I should be getting a new one in the next
    few weeks. But other users apparently have been having similar problems,
    and might not want to get the (presumably out-of-warranty) systemboard

      Last update: 2007-06-07 23:45    [W:0.022 / U:3.088 seconds]