    SubjectRe: 2.6.22-rc: regression: no irda0 interface (2.6.21 was OK), smsc does not find chip
    Date
    On Wednesday 06 June 2007 02:45:01 pm Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
    > I am beginning to doubt whether drier
    > works on my system at all (i.e. before PnP change); have to find time to
    > test.

    In 2.6.21, smsc-ircc2 at least found the device. So we definitely have
    a problem because in 2.6.22-rc, we don't find the device.

    What laptop do you have? Maybe I can find one to play with.

    I think Windows always calls _SRS, even if it doesn't need to change
    the current resource settings. Linux doesn't do that, and my HP nw8240
    firmware has a bug that leaves the IR device partly-enabled until _SRS
    is called. Maybe yours has a similar bug.

    Can you set CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG=y, make it so smsc-ircc2 isn't loaded
    automatically, and try this (along with my previous patch to swap
    FIR and SIR):

    # dmesg -n 8
    # echo 0x200 > /sys/module/acpi/parameters/debug_level
    # echo disable > /sys/bus/pnp/devices/00:0a/resources
    # echo activate > /sys/bus/pnp/devices/00:0a/resources
    # modprobe smsc-ircc2

    If you try this, can you collect the whole dmesg log?

    It's also possible that some other driver like i2c is messing with
    the ISA/LPC bridge configuration and breaking the IR device config.
    Your lspnp output doesn't show any other ISA devices down there,
    but I know i2c likes to poke around and discover things that kinda,
    sorta work, but the BIOS didn't expose.

    Bjorn

      Last update: 2007-06-07 20:37    [W:0.023 / U:119.652 seconds]