SubjectRe: Kernel inclusion policy, meta desicion making structure?
On 06/06/07, Stefan Richter <stefanr@s5r6.in-berlin.de> wrote:
> Tim Post wrote on 2007-06-04:
> > I was wondering if a meta version of the decision making process that
> > would be employed to determine if a new contribution does or does not go
> > into the main stream Linux kernel.
> [...]
> > Does some document exist that shows the decision making process so that
> > I can easily answer the ultimate question of "Why not" for myself?
>
> There is documentation on how submissions should look like.

Some starting points:

Documentation/HOWTO
Documentation/SubmittingDrivers
Documentation/SubmittingPatches
Documentation/SubmitChecklist
Documentation/ManagementStyle

> Other than
> that, these are case-by-case decisions based on a number of factors.
> Perhaps you should look up discussions on merge requests (accepted as
> well as rejected ones) in archives or better at sources like LWN.net.

Good LKML archives to search :

http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel
http://lkml.org/

Sometimes good summaries of discussions / decision making processes
can also be found at http://kerneltrap.org/

You can also search the ChangeLog messages for different patches
easily via git-web:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux%2Fkernel%2Fgit%2Ftorvalds%2Flinux-2.6.git;a=summary

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>