    SubjectRe: 4Gb ram not showing up
    Tom Moore wrote:
    > Thank you for the reply back. Your answer makes perfect sense to me,
    > and it is what I had suspected but was not sure about. The math seems
    > to indicate that 4Gb of ram plus 1Gb of PCI address space equals 5Gb of
    > memory space. So it does sound like I should have a larger kernel model.
    > What confused me the most (and still does), is the help message string
    > that is presented for the CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G option:
    > "Select this if you have a 32-bit processor and between 1 and 4
    > gigabytes of physical RAM."

    4 is not between 1 and 4.

    > Well that sounds like the amount of memory that I have, so that is what
    > I selected.

    You should select CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G.

    > Also, although I know what PAE stands for, I don't know how to select it
    > when building a kernel. Would I get this from the CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G
    > option? The help text for that says:
    > "Select this if you have a 32-bit processor and more than 4 gigabytes
    > of physical RAM."

    Personally, I feel the wording should say:
    Select this if you have a 32-bit processor and 4 or more gigabytes of
    physical RAM.

    It may not hurt to say 3 or more, but I'm not that familiar with x86
    hardware in regards to memory.

    > This does not sound like it applies to my hardware. There is something
    > wrong with my understanding, or with these message strings. I am still
    > confused.

    It does.

    Here's my system (4gb of memory):
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 3619996 3289352 330644 0 469764 2025416
    -/+ buffers/cache: 794172 2825824
    Swap: 0 0 0

    I know it says 3.6gb of memory, but 4gb is installed. I had 5gb in this
    machine and I saw all 5gb. This is a 32-bit dual xeon (12gb max memory)

    I would be interested to know where the last 400mb of memory went.

    Got Gas???

      Last update: 2007-06-05 01:21    [W:0.021 / U:10.452 seconds]