    SubjectRe: iperf: performance regression (was b44 driver problem?)
    Date
    On Monday 04 June 2007, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > * Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
    > > Yes, the following patch makes iperf work better than ever. But are
    > > other broken applications going to have same problem. Sounds like the
    > > old "who runs first" fork() problems.
    >
    > this is the first such app and really, and even for this app: i've been
    > frequently running iperf on -rt kernels for _years_ and never noticed
    > how buggy its 'locking' code was, and that it would under some
    > circumstances use up the whole CPU on high-res timers.

    I must admit I don't know much about that topic, but there is one thing I
    don't understand. Why is iperf (even if it's buggy) able to use up the whole
    cpu? I didn't run it as root but as my normal user so it should have limited
    rights. Shouldn't the linux scheduler distribute cpu time among all running
    processes?

    Maxi

      Last update: 2007-06-04 21:51    [W:0.024 / U:30.268 seconds]