SubjectRe: [RFC] automatic CC generation for patch submission
Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 19:51:53 -0700 "Kok, Auke" <auke-jan.h.kok@intel.com> wrote:
>
>>> Some extensions to the popular E-Mail clients might be needed
>>> here. Also, a bot reading LKML would automatically send links
>>> about posted patches to the other mailing lists whenever
>>> someone forgets to add a CC.
>>>
>>> Any comments?
>> an easier way to implement this is to add an extra field in the MAINTAINERS
>> file, something like below. All the contact info would stay the same, closely
>> where applicable and it would allow you to also specify specific files as well.
>
> We already have that information in git. Parse the git changelogs of the
> affected files, find out who works on them.
>
> Not that it'll help much, given the amnount of stuff which gets
> mysteriously ignored even when the correct people are cc'ed...
>
> (For extra giggles we could parse emailed oops and bug reports and add the
> appropriate cc's there too. Harder.)

well, I'm more thinking of the advertisement value of having some sort of
pointer in the MAINTAINERS file to the exact location of a certain subsystem.
Quite often I find myself searching somewhere in /drivers/ only to find out that
the stuff I need is in asm/arch or elsewhere. E.g. alsa is a driver but lives in
/sound/. Having a voluntary field (usable for other purposes) in the MAINTAINERS
field seems awfully appropriate in that place and very low impact.

git does have that info, except for the fact that quite often others touch the
same subsystem much more than the maintainer (pci, net, etc)...

Auke

  Last update: 2007-06-30 16:35    [W:0.129 / U:0.292 seconds]