    SubjectRe: vm/fs meetup in september?

    Christoph> On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 10:07:24AM -0700, Jared Hulbert
    Christoph> wrote:
    >> If you have a large array of a non-volatile semi-writeable memory
    >> such as a highspeed NOR Flash or some of the similar emerging
    >> technologies in a system. It would be useful to use that memory as
    >> an extension of RAM. One of the ways you could do that is allow
    >> pages to be swapped out to this memory. Once there these pages
    >> could be read directly, but would require a COW procedure on a
    >> write access. The reason why I think this may be a vm/fs topic is
    >> that the hardware makes writing to this memory efficiently a
    >> non-trivial operation that requires management just like a
    >> filesystem. Also it seems to me that there are probably overlaps
    >> between this topic and the recent filemap_xip.c discussions.

    Christoph> So what you mean is "swap on flash" ? Defintively sounds
    Christoph> like an interesting topic, although I'm not too sure it's
    Christoph> all that filesystem-related.

    You need either a block translation layer, or a (swap) filesystem that
    understands flash peculiarities in order to make such a thing work.
    The standard Linux swap format will not work.

    --
    Dr Peter Chubb http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
    http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au ERTOS within National ICT Australia