SubjectRe: vm/fs meetup in september?

Christoph> On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 10:07:24AM -0700, Jared Hulbert
Christoph> wrote:
>> If you have a large array of a non-volatile semi-writeable memory
>> such as a highspeed NOR Flash or some of the similar emerging
>> technologies in a system. It would be useful to use that memory as
>> an extension of RAM. One of the ways you could do that is allow
>> pages to be swapped out to this memory. Once there these pages
>> could be read directly, but would require a COW procedure on a
>> write access. The reason why I think this may be a vm/fs topic is
>> that the hardware makes writing to this memory efficiently a
>> non-trivial operation that requires management just like a
>> filesystem. Also it seems to me that there are probably overlaps
>> between this topic and the recent filemap_xip.c discussions.

Christoph> So what you mean is "swap on flash" ? Defintively sounds
Christoph> like an interesting topic, although I'm not too sure it's
Christoph> all that filesystem-related.

You need either a block translation layer, or a (swap) filesystem that
understands flash peculiarities in order to make such a thing work.
The standard Linux swap format will not work.

Dr Peter Chubb peterc AT ERTOS within National ICT Australia