    SubjectRe: Define CONFIG_BOUNCE to avoid useless inclusion of bounce buffer logic.
    On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 09:03:02PM -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 May 2007, Paul Mackerras wrote:
    > > Also there is the problem that some drivers use ZONE_DMA allocations
    > > because their device can only generate addresses below some limit, but
    > > on a platform with an IOMMU there is in fact no restriction on what
    > > memory the device can access.
    > That problem is to some extend addressed by switching ZONE_DMA off which
    > results in GFP_DMA becoming meaningless. And if GFP_DMA and ZONE_DMA is
    > gone from a platform then the MAX_DMA_ADDRESS inconsistencies are solved
    > since the cause of the inconsistencies has evaporated.

    Suffice it to say then that with this approach ARM will _never_ be able
    to have ZONE_DMA turned off, even on platforms where there are no DMA
    restrictions. I guess that's something we'll just have to live with.

    Russell King
    Linux kernel 2.6 ARM Linux -
    maintainer of:

      Last update: 2007-06-04 00:27    [W:0.020 / U:22.636 seconds]