    SubjectRe: slow open() calls and o_nonblock
    On Sun, 3 Jun 2007, Aaron Wiebe wrote:

    > (ps. having come from the socket side of the fence, its incredibly
    > frustrating to be unable to poll() or epoll regular file FDs --
    > Especially knowing that the kernel is translating them into a TCP
    > socket to do NFS anyway. Please add regular files to epoll and give
    > me a way to do the opens in the same fasion as connects!)

    You may want to follow Ingo and Zach work on syslets/threadlets. If that
    goes in, you can make *any* syscall asynchronous.
    I ended up writing a userspace library, to cover the same exact problem
    you have:

    http://www.xmailserver.org/guasi.html

    I basically host an epoll_wait (containing all my sockets, pipes, etc)
    inside a GUASI async request, where other non-pollable async requests are
    hosted. So guasi_fetch() becomes my main event collector, and when the
    epoll_wait async request show up, I handle all the events in there.
    This is a *very-trivial* HTTP server using such solution (coroutines,
    epoll and GUASI):

    http://www.xmailserver.org/cghttpd-home.html

    - Davide

      Last update: 2007-06-03 21:19    [W:0.022 / U:61.696 seconds]