    SubjectRe: Please release a stable kernel Linux 3.0
    Alan Cox wrote:

    [snip]

    >> A cleaned-up, consistent, and out-of-tree friendly way of handling API
    >> changes might help us all.
    >
    > The problem is that its very impractical. If I change a kernel API I fix
    > up the in tree users and test those I can, that's "accepted practice" -
    > you make mess doing a job you clean it up. I can't do that for out of
    > tree code because its out of tree.

    Thanks for the thoughtful reply. _And_ for taking the time to look at
    the code.

    I guess my half-assed notion is to have a single file w/"#ifdef-able"
    entries that flag API changes. It at least would give me/us a single
    point of reference, and avoid the rather ugly version checking. "LDDx"
    is fine, and lwn.net has saved my ass more times than I can count, but a
    single peg on which to hang my out-of-tree hat would seem useful.

    Thanks again,
    Bill