SubjectRe: New format Intel microcode...
> Slashdot carried an article this morning saying that an error in Intel
> microcode was being fixed. However, it listed only Windows related sites

That's a little misleading. Always dangerous getting your information
from slashdot. Let's say Intel clarified some corner
cases in TLB flushing that have changed with Core2 and not everybody
got that right. I wouldn't say it was a Intel bug though.

> for the "fix" download. Is this the same TLB issue? And are these really

I think so.

> fixes for Windows to flush the TLB properly the way Linux does?

On newer Linux 2.6 yes. On 2.4/x86-64 you would need in theory the microcode
update too. (it'll probably show up at some point at the usual place
http://urbanmyth.org/microcode/). Linux/i386 is always fine.

But the problem is very obscure and you can likely ignore it too. If your
machine crashes it's very likely something else.

-Andi

  Last update: 2007-06-28 17:35    [W:0.150 / U:1.192 seconds]