    Alexandre Oliva wrote:
    > Consider this scenario: vendor tivoizes Linux in the device, and
    > includes the corresponding sources only in a partition that is
    > theoretically accessible using the shipped kernel, but that nothing in
    > the software available in the machine will let you get to. Further,
    > sources (like everything else on disk) are encrypted, and you can only
    > decrypt it with hardware crypto that is disabled if the boot loader
    > doesn't find a correct signature for the boot partition, or maybe the
    > signature is irrelevant, given that everything on disk is encrypted in
    > such a way that, if you don't have the keys, you can't update the
    > kernel properly anyway. The vendor refuses to give customers other
    > copies of the sources. To add insult to the injury, the vendor
    > configures the computer to set up the encrypted disk partition
    > containing the sources as a swap device, such that the shared-secret
    > key used to access that entire filesystem is overwritten upon the
    > first boot, rendering the entire previous contents of the partition
    > holding the source code into an incomprehensible stream of bits.
    >
    > Does anyone think this is permitted by the letter of GPLv2?

    Yes.

    > Is it in the spirit of GPLv2?

    No, but that's besides the point.

    You can only hold people responsible for the letter, lest there be chaos.

    If there is a specific usage spirit you want to protect, then you must
    formulate it in letter.

    > How are the sources passed on in this way going to benefit the user or the
    > community?

    They still have to provide the source by other GPL means of their choosing.

    > Is this still desirable by the Linux developers?

    Looks undesirable to me, but still valid.

    Thanks!

    --
    Al