    SubjectRe: [patch 15/26] Slab defrag: Support generic defragmentation for inode slab caches
    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, Andrew Morton wrote:

    > > Provide generic functionality that can be used by filesystems that have
    > > their own inode caches to also tie into the defragmentation functions
    > > that are made available here.
    > Yes, this is tricky stuff. I have vague ancestral memories that the sort
    > of inode work which you refer to here can cause various deadlocks, lockdep
    > warnings and such nasties when if we attempt to call it from the wrong
    > context (ie: from within fs code).

    Right that is likelyi the reason why Michael did his stress test...

    > Possibly we could prevent that by skipping all this code if the caller
    > didn't have __GFP_FS.

    We do. Look at the earlier patch.

    > I trust all the code in kick_inodes() was carefuly copied from
    > prue_icache() and such places - I didn't check it.

    Yup tried to remain faithful to that. We could increase the usefulness if
    I could take more liberties with the code in order to actually move an
    item instead of simply reclaiming. But its better to first have a proven
    correct solution before doing more work on that.

      Last update: 2007-06-26 20:25    [W:0.020 / U:93.980 seconds]