SubjectRe: Is it time for remove (crap) ALSA from kernel tree ?
At Sun, 24 Jun 2007 19:51:38 +0200 (CEST),
Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:

> Few dayas ago OSS source code was oppened uder CDDL for Solaris and GLPv2
> for Linux:
>
> http://www.opensound.com/press/2007/oss-gpl-cddl.txt
>
> So this source without problems code can be integragrated in Linus tree
> and after this Linux can provide much better soud supoport than
> with current ALSA.
>
> Any plans for doing this ?

Did you count the number of devices that tree supports?
You'll loose the support of all new laptops and mobos sold in the last
year :)

Honestly, I'm not fully against changing the current code base (or
crap, whatever, any childish name). There are indeed many misdesigns.
But, replacing with the above is no option, IMO. The OSS have also
many misdesigns, so the same argument would start again. One should
learn something from history...

Anyway, if it's going to be more constructive, I'm willing to join in.

Takashi

  Last update: 2007-06-25 12:57    [W:0.144 / U:0.100 seconds]