    SubjectRe: Is it time for remove (crap) ALSA from kernel tree ?
    On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 02:31:08PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
    > So, do you mean the soft-mixing is the biggest issue? That's just a
    > part of a design issue, and if we want to go to that way, the
    > impelemtation would be trivial, regardless on ALSA or not. Totally
    > irrelevant argument regarding "remove ALSA".

    Soft mixing is actually the biggest issue because if you had
    generalized soft-mixing in the kernel-visible audio ports[1] you would
    win two things:

    - programs could use the OSS API without interfering with the ALSA one
    or which each other

    - programs coult use the ALSA kernel API directly without interfering
    either, which would allow alternative libalsa implementations for
    those who hate the current one

    Frankly, mandatory libraries are extremely annoying, and mandatory
    extremely complex overdesigned libraries are simply unbearable.

    OG.

    [1] Which does *not* mean doing the mixing in the kernel.

      Last update: 2007-06-25 14:47    [W:0.019 / U:180.328 seconds]