SubjectRe: [BUG] long freezes on thinkpad t60
> > the freezes that Miklos was seeing were hardirq contexts blocking in
> > task_rq_lock() - that is done with interrupts disabled. (Miklos i
> > think also tried !NOHZ kernels and older kernels, with a similar
> > result.)
> >
> > plus on the ptrace side, the wait_task_inactive() code had most of its
> > overhead in the atomic op, so if any timer IRQ hit _that_ core, it was
> > likely while we were still holding the runqueue lock!
> >
> > i think the only thing that eventually got Miklos' laptop out of the
> > wedge were timer irqs hitting the ptrace CPU in exactly those
> > instructions where it was not holding the runqueue lock. (or perhaps
> > an asynchronous SMM event delaying it for a long time)
>
> even considering that the 'LOCK'-ed intruction was the heaviest in the
> busy-loop, the numbers still just dont add up to 'tens of seconds of
> lockups', so there must be something else happening too.
>
> So here's an addition to the existing theories: the Core2Duo is a
> 4-issue CPU architecture. Now, why does this matter? It matters to the
> timing of the delivery of interrupts. For example, on a 3-issue
> architecture, the instruction level profile of well-cached workloads
> often looks like this:
>
> c05a3b71: 710 89 d6 mov %edx,%esi
> c05a3b73: 0 8b 55 c0 mov 0xffffffc0(%ebp),%edx
> c05a3b76: 0 89 c3 mov %eax,%ebx
> c05a3b78: 775 8b 82 e8 00 00 00 mov 0xe8(%edx),%eax
> c05a3b7e: 0 8b 48 18 mov 0x18(%eax),%ecx
> c05a3b81: 0 8b 45 c8 mov 0xffffffc8(%ebp),%eax
> c05a3b84: 792 89 1c 24 mov %ebx,(%esp)
> c05a3b87: 0 89 74 24 04 mov %esi,0x4(%esp)
> c05a3b8b: 0 ff d1 call *%ecx
> c05a3b8d: 0 8b 4d c8 mov 0xffffffc8(%ebp),%ecx
> c05a3b90: 925 8b 41 6c mov 0x6c(%ecx),%eax
> c05a3b93: 0 39 41 10 cmp %eax,0x10(%ecx)
> c05a3b96: 0 0f 85 a8 01 00 00 jne c05a3d44 <schedule+0x2a4>
> c05a3b9c: 949 89 da mov %ebx,%edx
> c05a3b9e: 0 89 f1 mov %esi,%ecx
> c05a3ba0: 0 8b 45 c8 mov 0xffffffc8(%ebp),%eax
>
> the second column is the number of times the profiling interrupt has hit
> that particular instruction.
>
> Note the many zero entries - this means that for instructions that are
> well-cached, the issue order _prevents_ interrupts from _ever_ hitting
> to within a bundle of micro-ops that the decoder will issue! The above
> workload was a plain lat_ctx, so nothing special, and interrupts and DMA
> traffic were coming and going. Still the bundling of instructions was
> very strong.
>
> There's no guarantee of 'instruction bundling': a cachemiss can still
> stall the pipeline and allow an interrupt to hit any instruction [where
> interrupt delivery is valid], but on a well-cached workload like the
> above, even a 3-issue architecture can effectively 'merge' instructions
> to each other, and can make them essentially 'atomic' as far as external
> interrupts go.
>
> [ also note another interesting thing in the profile above: the
> CALL *%ecx was likely BTB-optimized and hence we have a 'bundling'
> [...]

No. If anything it made the freezes somwhat more frequent.

And it's not a NO_HZ kernel.

What I notice is that the interrupt distribution between the CPUs is
very asymmetric like this:

CPU0 CPU1
0: 220496 42 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 3841 0 IO-APIC-edge i8042
8: 1 0 IO-APIC-edge rtc
9: 2756 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi acpi
12: 2638 0 IO-APIC-edge i8042
14: 7776 0 IO-APIC-edge ide0
16: 6083 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb2
17: 34414 3 IO-APIC-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb3, HDA Intel
18: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb4
19: 32 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb5
313: 11405 1 PCI-MSI-edge eth0
314: 29417 10 PCI-MSI-edge ahci
NMI: 164 118
LOC: 220499 220463
ERR: 0

and the freezes don't really change that. And the NMI traces show,
that it's always CPU1 which is spinning in wait_task_inactive().

Miklos

  Last update: 2007-06-23 12:39    [W:0.120 / U:0.424 seconds]