    SubjectRe: SATA RAID5 speed drop of 100 MB/s
    Date

    Hi,

    On Saturday 23 June 2007, Carlo Wood wrote:

    > PS I'd like to do extensive testing with Bonnie++ to tune everything
    > there is to tune. But bonnie likes to write/read files TWICE the amount
    > of RAM I have. It therefore takes a LOT of time to run one test. Do you
    > happen to know how I can limit the amount of RAM that the linux kernel
    > sees to, say 500 MB? That should be enough to run in Single User mode
    > but allow me to run the tests MUCH faster. (I have dual channel, four
    > DIMM's of 1 GB each -- 2 GB per Core 2 die. Hopefully the fact that
    > I have dual channel isn't going to be a problem when limiting the ram
    > that the kernel sees.)

    "mem=" kernel parameter limits amount of memory seen by kernel
    (more info in Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt)

    You can also limit amount of RAM detected by bonnie++ by using -r parameter
    but please remember that this will make bonnie++ benchmark combined kernel
    I/O buffering + filesystem + hard disk performance instead of just filesystem
    + hard disk performance (as it can happen that some / all data won't ever
    hit the disk).

    Bart

      Last update: 2007-06-23 19:55    [W:0.030 / U:30.760 seconds]