    On Jun 20, 2007, wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
    >> Subject: Re: Dual-Licensing Linux Kernel with GPL V2 and GPL V3
    >> On Jun 20, 2007, Andrew McKay <> wrote:
    >>> However, I don't see how this would ever require a company like Tivo
    >>> or Mastercard to have their networks play nice with a unit that has
    >>> been modified by the end user, potentially opening up some serious
    >>> security holes.
    >> Which is why the GPLv3 doesn't make the requirement that you stated.

    > so if the BIOS checked the checksum of the boot image and if it found
    > it wasn't correct would disable the video input hardware but let you
    > boot the system otherwise it would be acceptable to you and the GPLv3?

    I don't think so, but IANAL. What do you think? Here's what I
    think to be the relevant passages.

    [...] The information must suffice to ensure that the continued
    functioning of the modified object code is in no case prevented or
    interfered with solely because modification has been made.

    The requirement to provide Installation Information does not include
    a requirement to continue to provide support service, warranty, or
    updates for a work that has been modified or installed by the
    recipient, or for the User Product in which it has been modified or
    installed. Network access may be denied when the modification
    itself materially and adversely affects the operation of the network
    or violates the rules and protocols for communication across the

    Alexandre Oliva
    FSF Latin America Board Member
    Red Hat Compiler Engineer aoliva@{,}
    Free Software Evangelist oliva@{,}

      Last update: 2007-06-21 06:29    [W:0.022 / U:0.668 seconds]