    SubjectRe: Please release a stable kernel Linux 3.0
    On Friday 22 June 2007 00:29, Jesper Juhl wrote:

    > > You might think it's easy for me to simply "use" Linux
    > > and complain while you're doing the hard stuff. As it
    > > happens, the current development/stable model makes our
    > > life as "users" more and more difficult.
    > In what way?

    Well, I'm using SuSE Pro 9.3 (excellent choice by the way),
    coming with kernel 2.6.10-SuSE, on a ATI laptop, and the
    drivers privided wouldn't compile (suspend & freinds). The
    SATA disks were only supported from 2.6.15 (which just came
    out), so I had to edit the "source code" of a closed source
    driver to make it all work well. If that's "easy" for you I
    doubt it is for 99.999% of earth's population. "World
    domination" is far away.

    Also, the 7 National Instruments cards I'm using for a
    deformable mirror in Adaptive Optics in an industrial PC
    are "certified" for SuSE 9.3 only. Which, this week, got
    discontinued. So what now ?

    > Most users should be using distribution kernels anyway,

    ???? should ???? who do you think "users" are ????

    > not vanilla kernels.

    Who said I was using vanilla kernels ?

    > > "development" branches. And it would certainly help
    > > vendors of closed-source drivers.

    > Their choice, their problem.

    no, it's MY problem.

    > I don't think you'll find very
    > many people on this list who gives a damn about the
    > troubles of closed source driver developers.

    and what about their users ?

      Last update: 2007-06-22 00:57    [W:0.023 / U:2.096 seconds]