On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2007, david@lang.hm wrote:

>>> Well, then remove or otherwise mangle the signature in the disk of
>>> your TiVo DVR and see at what point the boot-up process halts.
>
>> I have actually done exactly that. what happens is that the bootloader
>> detects a problem and switches to the other active partition ane
>> reboots. ir neither of the boot partitions meet the requirements the
>> cycle will continue forever.
>
> Oh, too bad. That must be a bug in the boot loader, right? :-)
>

> BTW, since you got a TiVo... I'm writing an article on Tivoization,
> could you (or anyone else) please help me get information as to what
> other GPLed programs or libraries TiVo includes in their devices?
>
> Thanks in advance,

frankly, I haven't checked the licenses on the software. I'd suggest going
to www.tivo.com/linux and download all the source for all the different
versions there.

by the way, it looks like there is one wireless driver that they ship in
some releases but don't provide the source for. but if you plan on going
after them for that you better go after everyone who ships binary kernel
modules.

David Lang

  Last update: 2007-06-21 08:35    [W:1.436 / U:0.048 seconds]