    SubjectRe: how about mutual compatibility between Linux's GPLv2 and GPLv3?
    On Jun 21, 2007, wrote:

    > this is standard dual-licensing, not special just becouse both
    > licenses are GPL versions

    No, seriously, it's not, it's quite different.

    If you dual-license your code between GPLv2 and GPLv3, I could combine
    your code with code under GPLv3, distribute it, and if anyone tivoized
    your code, I might be able to enforce the anti-tivoization provisions
    against the tivoizer.

    With a mere permission to combine, I can only enforce these provisions
    over my own code.

    I see that, for tivoization, the end result is very much the same as
    an all-GPL, although the tivoizer still has the option of removing the
    GPLv3 code and hoping GPLv2's implicit anti-tivoization provisions are
    not enforced. This would be just undoing the additional cooperation
    that this additional permission would have provided.

    However, for other GPLv3 defenses, it would make a difference. For
    example, on the patent licenses that are implicit in GPLv2 and
    explicit in GPLv3.

    > and for people who don't like one or the other of the two licenses
    > this will not be acceptable becouse it would allow someone else to
    > take their work, modify it a bit, and release the result only under
    > the license that they don't like

    Which is precisely why I suggested this approach of permission to
    combine, rather than as dual licensing. Because then nobody could do
    what you say.

    > one of the big problems that people don't realize is that if it takes
    > GPLv3+ exception to be compatible with the apache license

    For the record, it doesn't, GPLv3 is going to be compatible with the
    apache 2.0 license, no additional exceptions needed.

    Alexandre Oliva
    FSF Latin America Board Member
    Red Hat Compiler Engineer aoliva@{,}
    Free Software Evangelist oliva@{,}

      Last update: 2007-06-21 22:05    [W:0.020 / U:18.284 seconds]