SubjectRe: how about mutual compatibility between Linux's GPLv2 and GPLv3?
On Jun 21, 2007, david@lang.hm wrote:

> this is standard dual-licensing, not special just becouse both
> licenses are GPL versions

No, seriously, it's not, it's quite different.

If you dual-license your code between GPLv2 and GPLv3, I could combine
your code with code under GPLv3, distribute it, and if anyone tivoized
your code, I might be able to enforce the anti-tivoization provisions
against the tivoizer.

With a mere permission to combine, I can only enforce these provisions
over my own code.

I see that, for tivoization, the end result is very much the same as
an all-GPL, although the tivoizer still has the option of removing the
GPLv3 code and hoping GPLv2's implicit anti-tivoization provisions are
not enforced. This would be just undoing the additional cooperation
that this additional permission would have provided.

However, for other GPLv3 defenses, it would make a difference. For
example, on the patent licenses that are implicit in GPLv2 and
explicit in GPLv3.

> and for people who don't like one or the other of the two licenses
> this will not be acceptable becouse it would allow someone else to
> take their work, modify it a bit, and release the result only under
> the license that they don't like

Which is precisely why I suggested this approach of permission to
combine, rather than as dual licensing. Because then nobody could do
what you say.

> one of the big problems that people don't realize is that if it takes
> GPLv3+ exception to be compatible with the apache license

For the record, it doesn't, GPLv3 is going to be compatible with the
apache 2.0 license, no additional exceptions needed.

FSF Latin America Board Member http://www.fsfla.org/