    SubjectRe: Adding subroot information to /proc/mounts, or obtaining that through other means
    On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 14:20 -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > Al Viro wrote:
    > > On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 01:57:33PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > >> ... or, alternatively, add a subfield to the first field (which would
    > >> entail escaping whatever separator we choose):
    > >>
    > >> /dev/md6 /export ext3 rw,data=ordered 0 0
    > >> /dev/md6:/users/foo /home/foo ext3 rw,data=ordered 0 0
    > >> /dev/md6:/users/bar /home/bar ext3 rw,data=ordered 0 0
    > >
    > > Hell, no. The first field is in principle impossible to parse unless
    > > you know the fs type.
    > >
    > > How about making a new file with sane format? From the very
    > > beginning. E.g. mountpoint + ID + relative path + type + options,
    > > where ID uniquely identifies superblock (e.g. numeric st_dev)
    > > and backing device (if any) is sitting among the options...
    >
    > Okay, I see there has been some discussion on this earlier, based on a
    > proposal by Ram Pai, so it pretty much comes down to redesigning this
    > right. I see some issues with his proposal (device numbers exported to
    > userspace in text form should be separated into major:minor form, for
    > one thing.) I know the util-linux-ng people have also had issues with
    > /proc/mounts that they would like resolved in order to finally nuke
    > /etc/mtab.
    >
    > Is Ram still working on this? I'd like to help make this happen so we
    > can be done with it.

    Peter, I am not working on it currently. But i am interested in getting
    it done. I have the seed set of patches which had Al Viro's ideas
    incorporated. Infact those patches were sent on lkml 2 months back.
    Shall we start with those patches?

    RP

    > -hpa

      Last update: 2007-06-21 18:27    [W:0.024 / U:0.100 seconds]