    SubjectRe: How to improve the quality of the kernel?
    Date
    Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 06:26:20AM +0300, Al Boldi wrote:
    > > Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > > > We are talking about _tracking_.
    > > >
    > > > I'm not sure whether it makes much sense, and it would cost an
    > > > enormous amount of time, but tracking patches should be possible
    > > > without any knowledge of the kernel.
    > >
    > > If that's really true, which I can't imagine, then the proper way
    > > forward would probably involve a fully automated system.
    >
    > If you consider any kind of patch tracking valuable, you should either
    > do it yourself or write the tool yourself. In both cases, the
    > interesting parts would be how to integrate it into the workflow of
    > kernel development without creating extra work for anyone and how to get
    > the information into the got commits.

    Integration is the easy part, really. Just filter all the patches from the
    mailing list into a patch-bin, then sort, categorize, and prioritize them,
    responding with a validation status to all parties involved.

    And after that comes the Tracking part.

    > "requires a real PRO" and "would probably involve" sound like cheap
    > phrases for avoiding doing any work yourself.

    I have learned from this list that premature involvement is
    counterproductive.

    > Talk is cheap, but unless YOU will do it your emails will only be a
    > waste of bandwidth.

    Thanks, and good luck with involving people with this kind of response!

    --
    Al