On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Michael Poole wrote:

> david@lang.hm writes:
>
>> if the GPL can excercise control over compilations, then if Oracle
>> were to ship a Oracle Linux live CD that contained the Oracle Database
>> in the filesystem image, ready to run. then the GPL would be able to
>> control the Oracle Database code.
>
> By copyright law, it could. By its language, it does not.

many people (including many lawyers will disagree that it could by
copyright law

>> if the GPL can't do this then it can't control the checksum either.
>>
>> again, it's not just the kernel that's part of the checksum on a tivo,
>> the checksum is over the kernel + initial filesystem, much of which
>> contains code not covered by the gPL)
>
> Again, did you miss where I pointed out that this makes it *worse* for
> Tivo, because they are tying together -- and making inseparable -- a
> combination that would otherwise be "mere aggregation"?

and it makes most distro CD's illegal since they contain code under
different incompatible licenses and they make a checksum across the entire
CD image.

David Lang

  Last update: 2007-06-21 05:45    [W:0.498 / U:0.252 seconds]